December 23, 2010

Christmas Traditions

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays.  I love celebrating the birth of Jesus.  I also love traditions.  From decorating the weekend after Thanksgiving to have cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Christmas morning, I love it all.  I don't mind having some things change but traditions are what link the past 30 Christmases in my mind.

Christmas morning often goes something like this:

The Man making cinnamon buns
Wake up at an early hour. Early for me anyway.  And earlier than I like to admit considering we don't have kids yet!  As we head into the living room where the tree is, we turn on the tea/coffee pot.  A warm cup of something is necessary to opening stockings.  Stockings always get opened first.  I love stocking...you never know what you'll find.  I've found shoes, tampons, a ring, movies, books, money, gift cards, deodorant...mom tends to get creative (She's sending us stocking this year so we didn't do them for each other).  After that the cinnamon rolls get made.  The Man makes them from scratch.  It's well worth the wait.  While they bake we start opening presents.  When the rolls are done we eat while they're hot.  If there are any presents left we'll open them when we're done eating.  When the present are all open we'll look at what we got, exclaim over them and start to use some of them.  Eventually we get showered and dressed, usually in new clothes.

This year we're heading to a friend's house to Christmas dinner.  They invite people who don't have family in the area.  This is our first year spending it with them but I'm guessing we'll eat and then play some games.  It should be fun and I'm looking forward to it. 

I forgot that at some point we'll go online.  I mean, who doesn't get on Facebook to wish everyone Merry Christmas?  I also have a hard time not checking email everyday, so I'll check it in the morning and again at night. 

My absolute favorite tradition of Christmas?  The time spend with family & friends.  I love spending time with people and just enjoying them.

What's your favorite Christmas tradition?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great Christmas morning. I need to learn how to make cinnamon rolls. We usually go to my mom's to open presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tampons in your stocking? LOL! Ours usually has at least one scratch-off lotto ticket. My mom does a great job with stockings, so I was kinda disappointed last year when I spent Christmas with the in-laws (we shared a stocking all that was in it was a pair of socks for each of us...socks in a sock--I found that redundant, but they were nice socks!)

    Wish I was near you to try those cinnamon rolls. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!