August 23, 2011

Abundance

Our garden is doing better than either of us expected.  We're getting some great summer squash and zucchini.  Now, The Man doesn't enjoy summer squash or zucchini and let me plant them cause he loves me and know that I enjoy these veggies.  I'm on a mission to get The Man to eat these veggies.  Thankfully he's kinda on board.  He wants to eat the ones we grown but he doesn't like the taste.  I have to be creative and hide them in food.  I made a stir-fry and chopped the zucchini and summer squash up very fine and mixed it in with the rice...the man got a few tastes of it but he ate it.  SCORE!  Another way I'm trying to hide it is in our dessert. Yes, you read that write.  I'm trying to use the zucchini in dessert...brownies to be exact.

I saw that a friend from college was making zucchini brownies so I requested the recipe.  Jill sent the the recipe and I was super excited to try it.

 Here's what you need:

1 cup melted butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp water
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1 bag chocolate chips
Chopped walnuts and/or raisins are optional


If you read through it carefully, you'll see that there is no cocoa in this recipe.  I didn't realize that until I was in the middle of making them.  So I sent Jill a message asking if there should be cocoa and made the executive decision to add 1/3 cup of cocoa.

The recipe is pretty easy:

Mix melted butter and brown sugar together. 


Add eggs and beat well.

 Add water, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, flour and cocoa (if you're using it).


Mix well. Stir in zucchini.

Grease & flour 9x13 pan. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips.

 


I forgot to put the chocolate chips one so I added them about 5 minutes after I put it in the oven.

Sorry it's blurry.  I used chocolate peanut butter chips.



Bake at 350 for 35 -40 minutes. Great served with vanilla ice cream.  
 
You don't get a photo of the finished product cause we ate them before I remembered to take one.  Not the whole thing but a good portion was missing and it would have made a bad picture.  Just trust me when I say they are DELICIOUS!



The Recipe:
1 cup melted butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp water
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1 bag chocolate chips
Chopped walnuts and/or raisins are optional

Mix melted butter and brown sugar together. Add eggs and beat well. Add water, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and flour. Mix well. Stir in zucchini.

Grease & flour 9x13 pan. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for 35 -40 minutes. Great served with vanilla ice cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!