On the cruise my mom & I learned how to make easy origami gift boxes. These really are easy make and are adorable. They would make great gift boxes for small items. Munchkin really likes them and uses them as blocks. If you already have scrapbook paper at home, they’ll be cheap to make, as you won’t have to go out and buy any materials!
A square piece of paper. I use 12x12. To make a cover, trim 1/8 of an inch off two sides.
1. Fold the paper in half, white sides together. Unfold.
2. Fold the paper in half in the other direction, white sides together. Unfold.
2.5The inside of the paper should look like this:
3. Fold the paper corner to corner, white sides together. Unfold.
4. Fold the other corners together, white sides together. Unfold.
4.5 Your paper should look like this:
5. Next, fold each corner into the center. You’ll end up with a smaller square.
6. Keep the smaller square. Take one side and fold it in towards the middle.
7. Fold the opposite sides into the middle (you will have folded all 4 sides into the middle.) Unfold.
8. Turn the small square so the bottom point is pointing towards you. Unfold the top and bottom corners.
9. Using the line from previous folds, fold up the sides.
10. Starting with the corner furthest away from you, fold the corner towards you. Because of the folds you made, you should be able to fold the side up with no problem.
11. Take the triangle piece and fold it down to hold the paper on place.
12. Repeat steps 9-11 on the opposite side.
13. Now you have a cute little box! You can make another one to be a cover for it. If you don’t trim the sides, you can still get the boxes to fit inside each other though one might bend just a little.
Munchkin really likes playing with them. They are made out of scrapbook paper though so they aren’t the sturdiest blocks ever made. Don’t be surprised if they crumple after some rough play!