July 27, 2010

#60 of the 101 in 1001...Books

I love to read.  I've loved to read ever since I was a child.  I remember seeing my mom reading and wanting to be able to read like her.  Once I learned in school there was no stopping me.  I was much happier reading a book then watching TV.  In fact, when my parents had to punish me, they would take my book away (usually cause I hadn't folded the clothes like I was supposed to!)

I'm not expecting it to be hard to read 50 new books in 1001 days.  Though the challenge for me is that they need to be new books.  I'll reread books I love, such as Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austin, any Harry Potter, Pretense by Lori Wick...I could go on. 

But here is my list of the 50 new books I've read...I'll add to it as I finish the books.

11.  The Year She Fell by Alicia Rasley

I got this for free for my Kindle.  I really enjoyed it.  It was very different from The Hunger Games, which I read right before this.  There is an interesting plot and characters.  The ending wasn't what I was expecting and that made it even better!

8, 9, & 10.  The Hunger Games Trilogy.

AMAZING.  If you haven't read them you need to.  RIGHT NOW!  Go to Amazon and order all three because you're not going to want to wait once you finish the first one.  Promise!

7.  The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
     I picked this up at the Charlotte airport.  It's a very compelling read.  It's about an Irish girl who's parent died on the voyage to America.  They were indentured to a plantation owner who takes the girl and puts her to work in the kitchen where the slaves become her adopted family.  I highly recommend it!

6.  Brothers by Angela Hunt
      The next book in the trilogy and picks up from where Dreamers left off.  It goes until Pharoah has married his first wife.  There's one more book in the trilogy and I'm looking forward to reading it!

5.  Dreamers by Angela Hunt
     An expanded version of the story of Joseph, from when he was sold by his brother to when they first show up in Egypt.  It's well written and an interesting way to look at the story.

4.  A Summer in Sonoma by Robyn Carr
     An easy, fun, quick read.

3.  Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen
      A great read!  Very interesting and I loved the ending.  It's a about a 93 year old man remembering his time spent working for a circus and his relationship with the people he met there.


2.  How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Trooper.
      It's an okay read.  It's about a 29 year old widower a year after his wife dies.  He explores dating and reaches out to his stepson and starts to understand his family.  I skipped a few pages that were a little explicit.  This is a book I most likely will not read again.

1.  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
     A very interesting read.  It takes place during WWII Germany and is about a 9 year old girl living with her foster family.  It is narrated by Death and explores her relationships with her foster family, the Jewish man they are hiding, her best friend Rudy and the people in the neighborhood.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!