September 3, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In, September Edition

September came in rainy and chilly and it already feels fall like here in the Pac Northwest.  I love fall.  I REALLY want to go apple picking but The Man just laughs at me since there aren't any apple orchards near us.  I keep telling him that I MUST pick some Washington apples before we leave, thankfully we have a few years!  I've been looking forward to this weekend cause we're headed down to Eugene, OR for the Ducks game.  YAY for college football!  Actually, I married into the Ducks craziness but I enjoy going to games.  Just don't ask me for stats or anything...

And now on the main reason we're here...It's Friday Fill-In time again with Wifey from Wife of a Sailor.  Head on over to link up and join in the fun!

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In


1.  What is a weird/funny superstition that you have?

 None that I can think of. 

2.  What are your hopes and dreams for the years AFTER the military? After all, we aren’t in it forever!

We have a few.  We'd love to own a house on each coast and be able to go back and forth between the two.  The Man thinks he's like to teach theater, probably to  middle or high school kids.  I'm sure I'd be involved in helping putting on productions (I helped the theater teacher when I taught middle school and had a great time).  We'd also love to own a store stocked with handmade items...quilts, table runners, sweaters, furniture, bread, jams...and whatever else we come up with.  Traveling is also going to fit in there somewhere...The Man has promised me a trip to Viet Nam for our 20th anniversary once he's out. 
     
3.  Since [this] month is National Apple Month (no really!), I’d probably ask: What is your yummiest apple recipe?

I wish apple picking was in my future. Sigh...guess I'll just have to carry on.  Last winter we were buying bags of apples from Costco and I'd get through most of them...when it looked like they were about to go bad, I would make crock pot apple sauce using this recipe.  I also like to make apple cake.  It's a healthy cake because it has apples in it, right?!?!

4.  How long have you gone as a military spouse without talking to your husband/wife during service?

47 LONG days, not that I was counting or anything!  And I think I only got 1 or 2 short, 2 line emails (the I'm alive and I love you kind of emails).  I had taken to carrying my cell phone around with me everywhere...oh wait, that's normal for me during deployment!  I was however going to answer if he called while I was teaching, regardless of the school rules regarding cell phones during class.

5.  I occasionally watch When I was 17… on MTV. So, what was something that was significant about your 17th year of life?

Um, I was a senior in high school looking forward to college?  Some thing fun and exciting must have happened but I really don't remember...it was a long time ago.  I've already had my 10 year high school reunion and 15 years will be here before I know it. 

4 comments:

  1. When you do make it to pick Apples (head to Yakima or Wenatchee - my sis in laws fam has an orchard on Lake Chelan but they don't do public picking) you have to see if there is a place that presses apples for cider. It is the best.

    Also, you need to go visit Cle Elum/Roslyn (you have to head over the mountains) it is a pretty great place with trails to hike and a bunch of big lakes. It is where I grew up so I am pretty partial. The tv show Northern Exposure was also filmed there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything in the crockpot but I've never had applesauce. MUST TRY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Yakima or Wenatchee probably has the best opportunities for apple picking. My parents have a few apples trees in their yard (as well as cherry trees and blackberry bushes) that we would raid every fall.

    If you have the opportunity, stop at the big fruit stand/antique mall in Thorp. You can't miss it... it's big and white and in the last few years they opened a gas station as well. There is nothing else around it. Go over Snoqualmie and if you reach Ellensburg (where I went to college) you went too far. Anyway, they have Ah-maz-ing apple juice as well as other yummy fruity treats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but nothing about how to eat this apple, so why not apple cake? Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!