March 8, 2011

Cover

Original Cover
My parents surprised me with a Kindle for Christmas.  I LOVE it.  To go along with it they also got me a red case for it.  Since red's my favorite color, it was perfect.  The cover was great...until my Kindle stopped working.  It happened twice and I ended up going online.  Come to find out that sometimes the cover causes the Kindle to short...or something like that.  The battery drains really fast and it has to be recharged and sometimes reset.  Not cool.  So I stopped using the cover and the problem stopped.  No cover is fine for around the house.  But when I want to take it somewhere I want it to be at least a little protected.  So I decided to make a cover.

I probably should have looked online at some patterns to get some ideas but instead I headed downstairs and just started playing.  It didn't turn out like it looked in my head but it works!  It's just a simple sleeve that the Kindle slides in and out of.   It will be protected from scratches which is was I was concerned about..  At some point I'll probably make something else but this works for now.

The cover
Sliding in
Best friends...

Have you ever tried to make something without a pattern?  
How did it turn out?


This post is linked to:

Fancy This






fortheloveofblogs

14 comments:

  1. I want a Kindle! I'm not very creative, so I probably wouldn't have ever thought of making a cover. It's very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I have that same cover & having the SAME problems with my Kindle. It was working great until a week or two ago, the darn battery drains all the time and restarts automatically. Did taking it out of the cover help? DId you still have to get a new one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job making your own. I always sew without a pattern. I don't know how to use a pattern. And maybe that is why, I am horrible at sewing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job! Have you ever heard of the blog by Prudent Baby? They have all sorts of fun tutorials for different things. The other week they had one on an iPhone cover (with velcro closure). It might give you some fun project ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually made something kinda like that without a pattern. My husband has a flipcam and somehow lost the little carrying sleeve it comes with while he was deployed. So I just made him a little drawstring pouch for it. He uses it, but it's almost too small..I'm not very good at stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Nook but what a cool idea to MAKE a cover. I think yours turned out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that exact same case, in red too!!! It's so weird, a few days ago the Kindle wouldn't fire up, I had to reset it...and today I see this. Very interesting that the case causes that...and it really makes me mad because Amazon makes the case!! I wonder if they are recalling them?? Bummer dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nicely done! i have the same red cover for my kindle and it *does* drain the battery fast, i suppose because of the light. yours is very chic, and more energy efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cool! I haven't heard that happening to a Kindle. Strange. I have a cover, but I'm thinking of getting a different one. Now that I've had it over a year, I think I might prefer something different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that! Very creative! I never have enough patience to plan things out (like make a pattern! lol) I just 'go for it' too. Everyone keeps saying the Kindle is great...but I'm such a 'book' girl..you know..the smell of the paper..the feel of the binding....do you miss the paper books??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the 'slip cover'.. it's beautiful. I need one like this for my iPad. The one I have it a little to suit and tie for my style... GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job! Stay safe little Kindle:) Thanks for linking this up to my party:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I called amazon with the same problem. They refunded my money for the case and gave me a $20 credit so I could upgrade to the lighted cover (same design & color). Problem fixed and kindle support is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is nice to know! I love my Kindle, and have a cover, but have had no problems with it *yet*. Your idea is super cute for the 'slipcover.'

    I am preparing to make two new creations without a pattern...a tunic for my step-daughter (the older two have one that I made last summer, and she wants one) and 'seat sacks' for my classroom. The tunic has no pattern because I think I can modify the larger patterns into a child-size by eye-balling it. The 'seat sacks' will be completely going out on a limb, as I have simply seen pictures of them, but didn't want to pay $10 a piece for 20 of them pre-made! I am hoping to get the proto-type done this weekend. *Fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!