April 14, 2011

Soup Suppers

I know I'm a little late with my Lent post, but better late than never, right?  I'm not sure where time has gone!  I've been meaning to write this post for weeks...enjoy!

I love what our church does for Lent.  Our church has a mid-week Lenten service on Wednesdays.  I love the services as they help me focus on what's coming...Easter.  This year we've been focusing on different people who take a part in the passion story.  With a sharper focus I am able to appreciate what Jesus did for me. He didn't have to leave heaven...he did it voluntarily.  For me.  For you.  Incredible love...sometimes I have a hard time wrapping my head around it.  It doesn't matter what I do...or don't do...Jesus love me.  Just as I am. 

In addition to the services, the church hosts a soup supper before hand.  It's great!  Church members sign up to bring food....soup, veggie or fruit trays, bread, dessert, milk...you get the picture.  Different groups within the church are responsible for set up.tear down and serving for the 6 weeks.  I love it because it's a great time of fellowship.  Plus, you don't have to worry about dinner.  It's great!

We had our last soup supper last night and I wanted to share the soup that I brought: Chicken Tortilla Chili.  It's really good...and even better the next day. 

Ingredients:

4 yellow corn tortillas
1 large onion
1 medium zucchini (I didn't have any so I used carrots...still yummy!)
Veggie Oil
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp ground cumin
3 cups chicken stock
2 cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes (I used regular ones...still good)
1 can pinto beans (I used kidney...still good)
3-31/2 cups shredded chicken
1 tsp salt

1.  Stack tortillas and cut into 1 inch pieces.  Place in food processor and pulse until crumbs form.  Set aside.

2.  Dice onion and zucchini (or carrots).  Place oil & onion into stock pot; cook and stir over medium heat until onion is tender.  Add cilantro, pressed garlic, and cumin; cook about 30 seconds or until fragrant.  Stir in tortilla crumbs, stock, tomatoes and beans.  Bring to a gentle simmer; reduce heat to medium low and  or until chili is thickened, stirring frequently and scrapping the bottom.

3.  Stir in zucchini (or carrots), chicken and salt.  Cook 3-4 minutes or until veggie in tender and chicken is hot.  You can serve with diced avocado, lime wedges, fresh cilantro and tortilla crisps.  Shredded cheese on top is good too!

5 comments:

  1. YUM! I might have to try that one sometime. Or... whenever I'm back in town you can just make some for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks fantastic :) I love soup suppers! Such great companionship {and tasty food}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm!! I probably shouldn't have read this on an empty stomach! Time for me to eat lunch (at 3pm)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank looks really yummy!

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea! The soup looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!