April 29, 2011

YAY for Friday!

I haven't done a Milspouse Friday Fill in for awhile/  I was thinking that it would be a great way say goodbye to April.  You can head over to Wife of a Sailor to link up and read more answers.  I hope you have a great weekend!


1. Have you and your spouse agreed to live in separate locations (a geographical bachelor tour) knowing that the short-term inconvenience would have long-term benefits for your family? How did it work for you?

We did.  It was before we were married.  We met while he was at sub school and when it ended he got orders for the other side of the country.  We were SO CLOSE to getting married before he left (so I could be put on his orders and have the Navy move us, plus get BAH and all that) because we knew he was deploying when he got to his boat.  I was talked out of it by family.  Either way, I was going to stay in MA.  There are times that I wish had gotten married before he left but most times I'm ok that we waited.  If we had gotten married sooner I would have moved to WA sooner and I definitely would have been there when they came home from their 6 month deployment.


2. What is your favorite thing about being a MilSpouse?

That is moved me to WA.  I LOVE it here but wouldn't have moved here just because I wanted to (I didn't know I wanted too!) 

3.  If you could still have your spouse/significant other and your family, but take the military life out of it…would you?

That's an interesting question.  The Man joined later in life (late 20's) and I met him about 9 months after he joined so it's not like this is the only adult life he's known.  Of course it's influenced him and at this point...I don't think so.  Some of the things that have happened, like his sobriety, have been helped and influenced from his being in the Navy.  I think the Navy help speed up the sobriety timeline!

4. What have your homecoming experiences been like after a year long tour of separation?

Like other sub wives (see Wifey & Sespi) have said, we don't have year long separations.  There are two kinds of submarines though and they each have different kinds of deployment schedules.  One kind (boomer) has two crews and they do patrols for 2-3 months then come home, switch crews and when the sub comes back, they go back out again for 2-3 months.  My understanding is that they go out in the ocean and do circles.  The other kind, a fast attack,  has 1 crew.  They can deploy for 6+ months as well as for shorter periods of time.  They too, can be gone ALL. THE. TIME.While they are deployed that may make port calls, so they get to go places and see things.

When a submariner is gone communication is limited.  During our 6 month deployment I was lucky to get an email once or twice a month.  The nice thing was that I could count on a phone call whenever they were in port.  It wasn't much but it was nice!  I wasn't there when he pulled in cause I was teaching and school wasn't out yet.  I was happy to be getting a phone call every day..and skype too!  I came out the day school got out and I gave him the biggest hug in the airport...I didn't want to let go!

5. If you have a child(ren) why you chose their name(s)? If not, why you would name your child something?

We have out kids names picked out and a very few people know what they are.  I don't want to share them online...or with anyone else cause I don't someone to take them (not that they would).  Both are biblical and the girl's name is not common.  So, I guess you'll have to wait until we have kids!

 Don't forget to head over to The Tervo Times and link up the Milspouse Weekly Round-up.  Say hi to Sierra while you're there!




Happy Birthday MOM!

5 comments:

  1. This was interesting to read! We, too, have our children's names picked out and only a few people know them! I don't want to share them until I have to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. visiting from for the love of blogs. I like your 101 in 1001 list. I'm working on mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are always fun to read through and learn about a blogger :o)

    And oh!!! I am so excited that your friend Sierra posted that I would be able to host the next Mil Spouse Weekly Roundup :o) I was wondering if you could email me and explain how to have the links show up with the images?

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good job explaining sub life :) I have my future boy's name picked out already; we'll see if it sticks. A friend of mine told me their baby's name was biblical and 'not that common"...and he picked Sophia. Which is very common, if he had just looked around online. Anyway, maybe you chose Esther? Even Mary has dropped off the top 100, so it's not common any more! I could talk about baby names all day, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so interesting to read this post! Kudos to you and all of the other military families out there that go through 'separations' in the name of peace.

    I just wanted to check in and ask if it is all right with you if I link to your applique post on my blog? I tried it out for a project for my school-kids, and wanted to post it, giving you props where props were due! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!