May 1, 2011

A Sunday Night to Remember

A normal Sunday night for us is to watch Amazing Race while cuddling on the sofa.  Often we will also watch Undercover Boss after but it depends on how tired The Man is.  That was the plan for tonight.  We had pop corn and homemade potato chips ready to snack on while we watched.  The Man also got a fire going.  Imagine our surprise when we turned on the TV to see the headline of "Osama Bin Laden is Dead."  The first this I did was grab The Man's arm and ask him if it made me a bad person to be happy at the death of another human being.  Yes, he was an evil, terrible man but I feel bad being happy about his death.

I quickly became annoyed that it took so long for the President to speak.  I cried during during his speech, especially while remember 9/11 and when we spoke about our military.  I was one happy girl when The Amazing Race came on after the special report!

I am thankful that our service men were not harmed during the operation.  Thank you to all of our military for all of the hard work that they have put into the War on Terror.  I pray for the safety of our troops while they continue to fight and for those who are in areas where there maybe retaliation.
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;
Lest the LORD see it, and it displease Him,
and He turn away His wrath from him.
[Proverbs 24:17-18]
 
 

6 comments:

  1. A friend of mine said something really important as a fb status : Do not rejoice in Death, rejoice in justice. Its hard to separate the two in this case however. I was definitely happy when i heard the news. we clapped actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard, I understand and yet, I cringe at the mass celebration of a death. We have had way too much death and I believe that this will make it worse on our troops on the ground. I pray this is the beginning of the end...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a HUGE thanks to all those who serve (or have served) our country. There is a sense of relief that I feel after learning this, but I am disturbed by the celebrations all over the news. It's disheartening, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another status which I found kina poigniot:
    "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill.

    I don't blame you for feeling please, the amount of terror this man has caused. However, I do feel there is even more of an uphill struggle now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of my Catholic friends have been posting the Vatican's statement about this: "Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibility of everyone before God and man, and hopes and pledges that every event is not an opportunity for a further growth of hatred, but of peace."

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT passage from Proverbs and a lovely way to conclude a great post!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!