June 6, 2011

Banana Boat

"Get in the boat...Banana Boat..."  I think that's how the jingle goes.  I'm not talking about that Banana Boat though.  It would be appropriate given the weather we've had the past few days.  I do need to get some sunscreen cause I haven't been wearing any.  I like to get some vitamin D.  I am aware that overexposure to the sun can cause skin cancer so I try to be careful about it.  I rarely wore sunscreen as a kid cause I almost never burned.  The older I get the more sun sensitive my skin gets. I'm ok with it.

Anyway, that was a tangent.  I was going to tell you about the other kind of banana boat.  The yummy kind.  The lets-take-a-healthy-banana-and-make-it-unhealthy.  Trust me, it's worth it.  I used to do this as a kid camping with my Girl Scout troop...they're best when made in a campfire.  It's still tasty when you make it in the oven!

Ingredients:
Bananas
Chocolate Chips
Peanut Butter (It what I prefer...many people use marshmallows)
Step 2

1.  Cut the banana from one end to the other through the skin on the top and through the banana but do not cut through the other side.

2.Carefully insert peanut butter/chocolate chips/marshmallows.

3.  Wrap in tin foil

Step 3
4.  Place in oven/campfire embers.  I put the oven at 375 and baked for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate chips are melted.

5.  Carefully remove from the oven.  I use a spoon and eat the gooey deliciousness right out of the banana skin.


Step5.  It really is delicious!


Have you ever had a banana boat?

9 comments:

  1. I've never had one, but I am now certain that my summer will not be complete until I do. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. never had that... but it looks unhealthily delicious! Might have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we made these in Girl Scouts too! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH we used to make these at my best friend's cabin when we were little. LOVE THEM! We would also poke a hole in a can of spaghetti-o's and throw it in the fire and have that for dinner and banana boats for dessert. NUM! I miss camping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never think of this! Great idea, thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing, I am definitely going to try a banana boat this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm that looks delicious! My favorite camping food are pigs in a blanket (hot dogs wrapped with biscuit dough and cooked over an open fire). If you have extra dough and a way to keep them refrigerated over night (in a cooler for example) they also are delicious as regular biscuits with butter in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, how have I not had this before? Those are like my 3 favorite things all wrapped into one. Here I come Banana Boat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hubs club has a yearly camp-out for its members and kids; I always make these on the big outside bbq and everyone loves them even more than S'mores! The kids have me bring ice cream and we put a scoop in the middle of each boat when they come off the grille. Deeeelish!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!