July 13, 2012

A Paper Pregnancy

Hello friends!  I have another great guest post for you today, this time from a slightly different point of view.  Armymomma is sharing how she became a mommy with us today in her first guest post.  Thank you for taking over my blog for the day!


Hi!  I am Armymomma.  I blog (rather infrequently) over at http://armymomma.wordpress.com/
I am married to a soldier.  I stay at home with my 2 kiddos, affectionately referred to as Thing1 and Thing2.  I also do in home child care.

Although I have 2 kids, I have never been physically pregnant.  Both of my boys were adopted.  So, I got to be paper pregnant.  I am going to share my very first paper pregnancy with you!

We started the home study in January 2006.  We worked our tails off and had everything completed and were officially waiting in March.  We were young, educated, childless, and attractive (or so the agency said) so we were told to be ready because we were going to get called right away.  From the day I found out we were home study approved and waiting, I never went anywhere without a phone.  Every time the phone rang, I thought, “This is it!”

March ended.  April came.  And went.  May came and went.  June began.  I was getting VERY frustrated by this point.  So, I began looking into other options.  I found another organization to work with.  They networked with agencies and dealt with situations where there were not enough families to present to the expectant mom.  (Some examples: some agencies have trouble placing kids of certain races. Kids with medical issues are harder to find families for.)

We signed on with the additional organization at the end of June.  On July 27, we got a call from that organization.  There was a little boy with a possible medical issue and the agency had no families available.  Were we interested?  I did some quick research and ran into my husband’s work to show him.  He listened and asked one question, “Are we bringing him into our home to watch him die?”  I assured him that the condition they suspected came with a normal life expectancy.  He said, “Then, let’s do it!”  (One of the many reasons I love this man!)

After a couple days of frantic phone calls, paper work, and travel, our son was placed in our arms on July 30, 2006.  He was 10 days old.  We walked in empty handed and walked out with a child.  As we drove away, we looked at each other.  I said something along the lines of, “This seems too easy.  Is this really our baby?”

It was quickly determined that our son did not have the condition that was suspected at birth.  Shortly after his second birthday, we found out he had a more serious and scary condition.  I am so thankful God hid that condition at birth because we probably would have said no to that call.  If you want to read more about it, feel free to check out my blog.


I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!