October 30, 2013

My Beloved and My Friend {A Review}

I was provided with a complimentary copy of My Beloved and My Friend by Hal & Melanie Young for the purposes of this review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

The Man & I have been married for four years.  Many Waters Beloved and Friend When it comes to marriage, we’re still newbies.  We have great examples to follow, as both of our parents have been married 30 plus  years.    We’ve learned a lot four years but we both know there’s still a lot to learn.  We enjoy being married to each other and we both enjoy spending time with each other.  Even after adding a baby to the mix, we’re still enjoying this crazy ride.  There is great joy in spending everyday with your best friend.

When I saw the chance to review My Beloved and My Friend by Hal & Melanie Young, I thought it would be a good opportunity to see what other people have to say about being friends with your spouse.  The Young’s have been married for almost thirty years.  Hal was diagnosed with stage IV cancer a few years ago and they wrote their first book Raising Real Men.  This book, My Beloved and My Friend, is what they want their children to know about “how to lay a foundation for a successful marriage, or how to start resolving things if the relationship wandered off course or went sour, somehow” (page 4.)  I think they do a good job of providing this information for their kids and as a side benefit, for us. 

In My Beloved and My Friend, the Young’s share what has worked for them for a number of topics.  I like how they showed a scriptural basis for the points they are talking about.  There were no new huge insights for me as The Man and I are already doing most of what the Young’s write about.  I found the book to be an easy read, relatable and practical from a couple who truly enjoy being married to each other.  They cover topics such as communication, submission, sex, children, and fighting.  They offer sound, reasonable advice on how to become friends with your spouse.  Even though there was nothing new to me, many of the topics were good reminders and prompted me to pay attention to things I had let slide. 

One part I did not agree with was when they write about natural childbirth.  Now I’m all for natural, unmedicated childbirth and wanted one for myself.  I felt like they were saying this was the only and best way to have children.  While I can agree, there are so many factors in play during childbirth that and a mom doesn’t need this kind of pressure to try to have the PERFECT childbirth.  There are many ways to have a successful childbirth. 

I think the book would be excellent for those who are engaged or newly married.  This book is also a good resource for those who have been married awhile and want a better friendship with their spouse. I think the Young’s are right on when they say:Many Waters My Beloved My Friend Hal and Melanie Young

We can choose to enjoy one another.  Choose to see each other as our best friends.  This is really, seriously one of the most satisfying things you will ever do. Make your mate your best friend. (page 46)

 

My Beloved and My Friend is available for preorder for $12 and will be available for Christmas delivery, two months before it’s official release date of February 14, 2014.  If you wait until the book is released, the book will be $15.  If you’d like to read more reviews, you can go here.

Bow of Bronze Launch Team Disclaimer Graphic

 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the feedback, Poekitten! We didn't mean it to come across that way at all -- as you mention, we were writing for our children and wanted to give them some things to consider before they faced those decisions, not judgment for those that chose other paths. There's certainly no commandment in the Word of God that tells us how to give childbirth!!! I'll go back and edit that section before it heads to the printers for the final edition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your gracious comment and reconsidering that section. I know that God will use this book to help strengthen marriages! It was a pleasure to read it and review it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read this book. I may have to order it when we get some extra $ in the bank. Sounds like it's right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!