January 10, 2014

Wild West Casserole

I have a problem.  I can’t seem to follow a recipe as it is written.   I found a casserole on pinterest called “Cattle Drive Casserole” and thought it looked good.  So I made it, except I didn’t because I changed several things.  So what started out as Cattle Drive Casserole became Wild West Casserole.  Munchkin gobbled it up, so I consider it a win. 

Ingredients:

1 lb frozen hash brown potatoes (I used O’Brian potatoes with peppers and onions already mixed in but you don’t have too)

1 lb. ground beef

1/2 medium yellow onion, diced

1 green pepper, diced (if not using O’Brian potatoes)

1 packet taco seasoning (or about 3 tablespoons if you’re using homemade)

1/2 cup water

2 garlic cloves, diced

1 can Rotel

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2- 3/4 cup of salsa

2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided

2-3 green onions, chopped

Note: If  you like spicy, use spicy Rotel and salsa.  If you don’t want spice, use mild of both.  I use an original Rotel and mild salsa so it had a small kick. 

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.  I used butter but you can use cooking spray if you’d like (I try to avoid it because they use butane as a propellant and I don’t want that in our food.)

2. Brown the ground beef.  Drain.  Add the onion and garlic (and green pepper if not using O’Brian potatoes).   Let it cook for about a minute or until you can smell the garlic.  Then add taco seasoning and water (I used homemade taco mix and put about 3 tablespoons in with a 1/2 cup of water.)  Mix together.  Simmer 6-8 minutes.  Mix in the can of  Rotel. Take off the heat and set aside.

Many Waters Beef Mixture

3. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, salsa and 1/2 cup cheese.  Mix well.

Many Waters Sour Cream Mixture

4.  Place the potatoes in the casserole dish.  On top of them, spread out the beef mixtures.  On top of that, spread the sour cream mixture (it can be hard to do, so just do the best you can!)  Take the remaining cheese and cover the top of the casserole.

Many Waters Casserole before cooking

5. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and the potatoes are cooked through.  Sprinkle with the green onions and let stand 5 minutes.

Many Waters Wild West Casserole

6.  Dish up and enjoy!

Many Waters WW Casserole Dished Up

Do you follow the recipe as it’s written or do you like to change things up?

 

Linking up with:

Mixer-Button-copy-300x300

28 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I've seen the cattle drive casserole on Pinterest, too. I'm also guilty of adding/subtracting/changing recipes, depending on what ingredients I have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy. I wonder if my family would eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely follow a recipe to a T. I see a printed recipe as more of a "challenge accepted" to improve on it...sometimes it fails miserably, but we've discovered some great family favorites that way, too! Do you think you could substitute Greek yogurt in for the mayo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your recipes, you must be a good cook, following your from the gingham Blog Hop, your co host Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely will have to share this one with my daughter once we try this one! From one recipe tweeker to another, thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also can't follow a recipe, though it's usually because I am too lazy to get all the ingredients when I don't have them so I make due :P. THis looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think with less cheese it would still be yummy! We like a lot of cheese though:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome! Hope you guys like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. I like to think I'm a good cook:) My family eats what I cook so at least they like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your view of recipes! I think Greek yogurt would work. Try it and let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do they like potatoes and ground beef and cheese? If so I think the would!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You gotta work with what you have in your kitchen, right?!? I think being able to change stuff out is a sign of a good cook!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the ingredients in this dish. Thanks for stopping by and linking up at Saturday Dishes.

    Blessings,
    Diane Roark

    www.recipesforourdailybread.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an easy one dish meal! Great recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooohhh this looks so cheesy and yummy! :-)

    Thanks for linking up at Gingham & Roses!

    Hope to see you back next week!

    Tenns @ New Mama Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always make a recipe my own. I add things I like to the recipe and don't put in things I don't like. Thanks for sharing with us this week at the Four Seasons Blog Hop. I am pinning this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey. It made for a great blog post recipe so I'm glad you changed some of the ingredients. It looks tasty. I can see why your little one gobbled it down! Thanks for sharing with us at Coutndown in Style! Don't forget to stop by Friday to see if you are featured! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do the same thing... but it's mainly because they use ingredients we don't use normally or I'm too lazy to go to the store to buy something. Glad it was a hit! Thanks for sharing and linking up with Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you were featured!

    ~~April~~
    100lbCountdown.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh, this looks so good. I would love some now. I'm visiting from Countdown with Style today. I'm following you on FB, Pinterest, G+ and Bloglovin. Hope you will visit me if you have a chance.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hehehe...great name for a cookbook:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for pinning! And if you don't make the recipe your own, it will always be someone else's!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks! And thanks for visiting and following:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love these one pot meals filled with meat, potatoes and cheese!!


    Hugs from Freedom Fridays With All My Bloggy Friends


    PS Sharing and pinning!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!