July 2, 2014

Gestational Diabetes…Again

Many Waters GD Again
Since I had Gestational Diabetes (GD) with Munchkin, my  midwife wanted to test me early at 20 weeks instead of the normal 28 weeks.  I was ok with that because you shouldn’t mess around with GD.  During the first trimester I would feel yucky after eating carbs, so I was thinking I had it.  I started watching my carbs and doing my best to eat more protein and veggies.  For the last few weeks I’ve felt ok after eating carbs so I was thinking maybe I was ok.

So on Friday I walked into the appointment ready to take the test. It went smoothly.  I was told that no news was good news and that I should either here later that day or on Monday.  The midwife also said it should show up on my online health chart.  Great.  So all Friday I waited an no call.  I splurged a little over the weekend cause I could.  Then all day Monday I waited.  Still no call.  I also logged onto to my chart to see if the results were posted and they weren’t.  So I started thinking, “Hey, I passed!  YAY!”  I knew that even though I passed now I would have to take the test again at 28 weeks cause I could still develop GD.  There was one little nagging thought in my head and that was that the results weren’t posted online.

So Tuesday morning I called and left a message to double check the results.  One of the nurses called me back a half hour later saying I was quick and I was on her call list for that morning.  It turns out I failed the test by ONE POINT.  ONE FREAKING POINT.  I’m so pissed.  If I’m going to fail, I’d like to fail big.  Normally they’d have me to the three hour test but it was so rough last time that I asked to opt out of it.  So now I’ll be referred to the high risk nurse who will set me up with my monitor and go over what I need to do.  I’ll also meet with a dietician. 

I’m not freaking out as badly as last time, mostly because I’ve already done this and have an idea of what to expect.  I will admit that I did cry for at least 30 minutes after hearing that I have GD.  I had gotten my hopes up that I had passed.  Having GD is going to make having my VBAC just a little harder.  I’ve been entertaining the idea of having a repeat C-Section if I did get GD.  The problem is that since I’ve already had one c-section, they will not/cannot induce me.  Once I’m in labor they can augment it with pitocin but they can’t induce me.  With GD, the placenta starts to break down.  With Munchkin, if it was controlled by diet and exercise they would have let me go to 40 weeks before inducing.  If I was put on any kind of medication, they would induce me at 39 weeks.  I never could get my fasting numbers (the first blood sugar check in the morning) under 90.  They were always 93 and 94 so they put me on a 1/2 of Glyburide.  So I was induced at 39 weeks, which failed. 

Now I haven’t talked with anyone yet about this from my midwife’s office but I’m guessing the guidelines will be about the same.  Except that one little part that I can’t be induced.  So, hello C-Section!  Part of me wonders if I’ll handle a C-Section better if I choose it instead of it getting chosen for me.  I know I still have plenty of time to make the decision.  We won’t even talk with an OB about the possibility of a VBAC until I’m 30-34 weeks (this is is standard procedure for this practice.) 

I know for many people, this isn’t a big deal.  But I’ve wanted an unmedicated natural childbirth for a long time.  When I wasn’t able to do it last time I felt like I failed.  I know I didn’t and I’m so thankful that we have the knowledge to keep more moms and babies safe.  It’s just not what I want for me and my baby.  My standards for myself are often so high and I think this is one of those times.  I really have no problems with others having C-Sections or repeat ones.  I think this is going to be a wait and see game.  This baby has to come out somehow!


  1. I am sorry that you are having to deal with this again. So much of motherhood is beyond our control. If it is of any comfort, women with pre-booked s-sections (rather than c-sections following induction or labor) seem to have an easier recovery. (( ))

  2. Ugh - that 1 point blows. Boo! Praying for peace and comfort over all of this, btw. {hugs}

  3. Awe man! I'm so sorry. Hopefully a VBAC will still be an option later on down the road.


I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!