August 20, 2010

Mil Spouse Friday FIll-In #9

It's Friday again...and it's hard to believe it's the middle of August!  The summer has flown by.  It doesn't feel like summer today...it's overcast, drizzly and in the 60's.  Boo.  I'm hoping warmer weather comes back before summer's over.


MilSpouse Friday Fill-In

 Since it's Friday that means it's time for MilSpouse Friday Fill-In hosted by Wifey at Wife of a Sailor.  Head on over to join in!

1.  If you could be a fugitive from the law for whatever reason, what would your crime be? (from It's a Hooah Life)  

 When I think fugitive, I think of an American hiding Latin/South America living near the beach with money they stole/laundered. 

Not in Latin/South America but I could easily live here!
 
Stereotypical, I know.  So maybe breaking into a bank or laundering money so I could live near the beach?  I really have no desire to break the law (I'm sure non of you do!) and don't have a criminal mind.  This one was hard for me to answer!

2. How long do you think you will be a military family? (from Julie the Army Wife)


At the moment the plan is for The Man to do the career thing.  He didn't join right out of high school but in his mid 20's instead, so we're still looking at 15+ years.  A lot can happen in that time, so it's something that we regularly pray about.  We're open to other things so if something comes out we're OK with getting out, but are totally OK with staying in too!


3. What's your favorite recipe? (from Keep Calm and Soldier On)
I have lots.  My favorite thing to do in the crock pot is to put chicken (whole or pieces) with a powered soup mix (I often use Lipton Onion or Veggie soup mix or a seasoning works too!) with NO liquid and turn it on low all day.  The juices in the chicken come out and the chicken is super moist and yummy.  

As for an actual recipe, the one below is a current favorite.  Super easy and delicious!

Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco 
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
3 cups uncooked mezze penne pasta
3 cups chicken broth
¾ cup dry white wine such as Chardonnay
½ tsp each salt and coarsely ground black pepper
1¼ cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, divided
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (about ¼ cup packed)
2 cups diced grilled chicken breasts
Additional grated fresh Parmesan cheese
and coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

1. Spray Deep Covered Baker with olive oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Slice
garlic into baker using Garlic Slicer. Add tomatoes. Cover; microwave
on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to burst, stirring after
2 minutes. Crush tomatoes using Mix ‘N Chop. Add pasta, broth,
wine, salt and black pepper.

2. Return baker to microwave; cover and microwave on HIGH 16-18
minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring after 10 minutes. Meanwhile,
coarsely chop basil with Chef’s Knife. Reserve 2 tbsp for garnish. Grate
cheese using Rotary Grater.

3. Carefully remove baker from microwave and remove lid, lifting away
from you. Add remaining basil, cheese and chicken to baker; mix well.
Garnish with reserved 2 tbsp basil, additional Parmesan cheese and
black pepper, if desired.

4. What would you want your last five words to be when you leave this life? (from My Goal is Simple)

See ya in heaven!

5. Where do you hope to retire? (from Pennies from Heaven)
 We want to have a house where we are now and are also hoping to have one on the East Coast as well...in the New England/New York area (if we each get our way there will be one in Southeastern MA/RI and one in upstate NY).  Then we'd go back and forth between the two or three houses.  DH thinks he might like to teach when he gets out and I'm not sure what I want to be when I grow up (I've already had a teaching career and while it was fun I'm OK with  not teaching again!)  I also think it would be cool to live overseas again and I'm partial to Southeast Asia.  I'd love to live in Ha Noi!
My favorite place in Ha Noi, Ho Hoan Kiem.

3 comments:

  1. Your recipe tells me you like Pampered Chef. One of my friends is a consultant, and that deep covered baker is a MIRACLE WORKER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Pampered Chef...and I'm a consultant:) Love the Deep Covered Baker. My reoccurring nightmare is that when we PCS all my stoneware will get broken and then I'll have to reseason EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my deep covered baker!!!! It was an unexpected wedding gift, and I now refuse to make chicken any other way :) Also, I've made that penne recipe you posted and it IS delicious.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!