August 2, 2010

S'mores

I think one of the best things about camping is the campfire.  Personally, I don't think you can have a campfire without s'mores.  It's like peanut butter and jelly, night and day, up and down...campfires and s'more.  They fit.  So you can imagine my dismay when we went camping (in a field) and they didn't allow campfires.  We tried roasting the marshmallows over the propane stove but that didn't work too well.

We have a fireplace but we haven't built a fire in awhile.  I've been craving s'mores.  What's a girl to do?  I finally caved and made one using the microwave (totally cheating, but desperate times call for desperate measures!) 

To start off with, I found these HUGE marshmallows last time I was at the commissary.  I thought they looked cool so I bought them.  I had never seen marshmallows this big...I thought they were new.  I was really excited and showed them to The Man.  He looked at them and said "Oh, we used to get those when I was growing up."  Talk about a let down!  I didn't know they made gigantic marshmallows!  I guess they just make things bigger out west:)

Seriously, it's huge!



Anyway, I've started adding a twist to my s'mores...adding peanut butter.  So yummy!  So I spread the peanut butter out and add the chocolate.  The marshmallow gets so messy that I make open face s'mores

One monster marshmallow is enough

Nuke it for about 15 seconds.  It gets all gooey and you can spread it all over.  I use a fork to eat it and watch out cause it's super messy!

And this is what you plate should look like when you're done!


Do you have a favorite camping food?  How do you make it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!