June 17, 2011

A Dog Is A Woman’s Best Friend

The Man was able to take some leave so I'm enjoying some time with him.  Thankfully, Ines from The Few, The Proud, The Wife volunteered a to take over my blog for a day.  A fellow dog lover, she shares with us about her furbaby Brownie.
A Dog Is A Woman’s Best Friend

As a couple without children, the best company I could have during a deployment is Brownie, my miniature Schnauzer. I come home and shes there happy to see me and following me everywhere around the house. She does silly little things that make me laugh and put me in a better mood. She even hits me in the face with her rubber chicken, not once...but twice! I swear she does it on purpose. She even grabs her squeak-iest toy and brings it close to my ear and you hear SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK. When I tell her “STOP”, she looks at me tilts her head - the way dogs do when you are talking to them - and then I hear a faint squeak from her toys as if she’s telling me “ok, but I’m getting one more squeak out of this.”


I don’t remember any point of my life where we didn’t have a dog in the household. And they were all Schnuazers, standard-size, to be the least. That’s why when my husband and I got married and we started looking at dogs, without a doubt I wanted a Schnauzer, a mini one! My husband on the other hand wanted a Pug. Of course, in the end I won but he didn’t mind.


The worst thing that ever happened to Brownie was her getting attacked by a friends Pit-bull. Just thinking of that day and what she went through brings so many tears in my eyes. I felt that I failed as her owner. Thank goodness she recovered 100%. But that day was the worst.

Deployments are lonely and hard, especially when you have no children. A dog brings you so much joy and company when you are alone for the any length of a deployment. Yes, they are needy but so are we.

If you've never visited Ines's blog before, please head over and give her some love and read about her adventures visiting her parents in Australia.

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe what happened to Brownie, but what a fighter! We also have a puppy and two kitties, no kids but they are enough. We love them and they brighten everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me guest blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. I don't know what I would have done without my little sidekicks during OccDoc's deployment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband isn't in the military but he was gone for eight weeks last summer for a job. Having my cat there to talk to and snuggle with was a lifesaver, just like Brownie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh she is sooo cute!! I swear my dog is my savior for my deployment he makes it so much easier.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!