April 27, 2012

Curve Ball, Part 1

I mentioned in my last post that I failed my 1 hour glucose test and had to take the 3 hour one.  These two tests are used to see if you have Gestational Diabetes.  All you ladies who have taken it know how NOT FUN it is.  For those of you have have not had to take it, let me fill you in.

I had to arrive at the hospital at 8am after fasting for 12 hours.  They took my blood to get a base line.  It takes about 45 minutes to process and once they make sure it looks ok, you get to drink the glucose drink.  It’s nasty but I was able to drink it pretty fast (I had the orange and it tasted like Kool-Aid to me.  I’ve heard the lime tastes like flat sprite and the fruit punch just sounds nasty to me.)  Then the waiting game begins.  You get your blood drawn one hour after you drank it.  And again at two hours.  And again at three hours.  So I finished mine at 8:50.  I had my blood drawn at 9:50, 10:50 and 11:50.  If you’re counting that 4 blood draws. Four times getting stuck with a needle.  I’m thankful that the lab techs are good at their jobs but that didn’t stop the inside of my elbows from being sore.  I really hate needles so this was probably the worst part of it.

Thankfully I wasn’t the only one there for the 3 hour test.  There were two other ladies there and it was nice to have people to talk to.  I walked around the hospital a bit with one of them.  She told me about giving birth 9 years ago out in town Italy.  It made me very thankful to be giving birth in a country where I speak the language!

During the test I felt nauseous and exhausted from the drink.  I was very happy when I was done.  I was able to eat a 12 inch sub from subway (double toasted so no worries about listeria!)  cause you can’t eat during the test either.  After eating I crashed and slept for a good 2 1/2 hours.

Than the phone rang.  It was in the other room and I didn’t want to get up so I let it go to voicemail.  However, I had a feeling that it was a nurse calling with my results.  I know that they would only call if the results were positive.  I tried laying there but just couldn’t do it.  When I checked the voicemail it was the nurse asking me to call back.  So I did.

Wondering what the nurse said? Call back tomorrow! And Twitter friends, no spilling the beans, please!


  1. Sailors_ValentineApril 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM

    "Moms" the word. ;) 

  2. They wouldn't let us walk around!  I was allowed to go to the bathroom, and that was it.  Although they let us chug the drink immediately after the first draw--I had fruit punch, and yeah, it was gross.  I felt pretty bad for the first 2 hours, but I also had other gals to talk to also.


I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!