July 20, 2012

What I Wish I Had Known...

I have another great guest post for you today!  Jamie is going to share some advice with you that she wishes someone had shared with her when she was pregnant.

***

Hello! My name is Jamie, and I am an Army Wife and SAHM to my sweet baby girl, Adelei!104
I blog over at This is Me; Consequently, but I’m guest posting here today to tell you some things that I only wish someone would have told me when I was expecting!

First of all, the basics….
 
Start buying the basics early on [when you have coupons or find sales!!]. These include diapers, wipes, baby shampoo, soap, lotion, & diaper rash cream. I suggest using diapers.com or amazon.com/mom to buy diapers & wipes in bulk. They are always having sales or e-coupons, & it is the easiest/cheapest way to go in the long run. I started out by buying 1 case of diapers & 1 case of wipes every pay period. I bought 2 cases of each size up to size 4.

Speaking of coupons…
There are a ton of websites that Mom’s should register on. Here are a few of my favorites. You will get coupons galore!
beechnut.com
gerber.com
similac.com*
huggies.com
pampers.com
Thebump.com
 
*Even if you plan on breastfeeding, you should still sign up for this JUST in case you have to supplement. You’ll already have your coupons & vouchers for emergency use.

Wow, babies are expensive & sensitive…
 
A lot of people will tell you to use Dreft to wash the baby’s clothes in, but there are a lot of different hypoallergenic laundry detergents that you can use. Dreft is the most expensive at around $10. Purex has one [in a white bottle] that costs $2.50 at the commissary for the 32 load bottle. This lasts forever! Also borax [20 minute mule] is sold at Walmart for somewhere around $4 a box & you definitely need to get this. If you have some clothes/blankets/burp cloths that gets spit up or formula on it, you can soak them in the sink just put enough water to completely cover the clothes add a handful of borax & let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes & the stains will come out. This even works if the stains have been there for a few days.

Ooh, the good life…
 
There were several things I thought I HAD to have for the baby just because the store sold it. For example, wipe warmer, bottle warmer, baby swaddling wraps, microwave bottle sterilizer, and spinning drying rack for bottles. Don’t fall for it. These are what I call ‘luxury’ baby items. Learn from my mistakes & save your money!
That about wraps it up! If you have any questions regarding things mentioned in this post, please feel free to email me at jaksart at rocketmail dot com

Do you have any new mom advice?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!