April 18, 2011

Happy Patriots' Day!

I hope you all have a happy Patriots' Day!

Paul Reveres Ride (Source)
You may be wondering what this holiday is.  It's celebrated in MA & ME...and WI.  Not sure why kids in WI get it off, unless they're just looking for reasons to not have school.  And I'm not sure it's true...I got it from Wikipedia and you can never be sure.  So anyone out there in WI?  Do the kids have school today?

And what is Patriots' Day you ask?  (I know because I grew up in MA!)  It's a holiday to observe the first battles of the Revolutionary War- The Battles of Concord & Lexington.  You know, the ones with Paul Reveres night ride?  In MA it's also known as Marathon Monday.  The Boston Marathon is being run today.  There's no school today...mostly because many kids have April Vacation this week.  Many universities have the day off as well.  I think banks might be closed too... I don't remember!

I also think the Sox have a game today...Go Sox!

How are you spending Patriots' Day?

4 comments:

  1. Working! We don't get that holiday, even though I live in Maine. Personally, I think we should have Patriot's day, Good Friday and Easter Monday off, but no dice. But yes, it's April vacation here, so at least I don't have the bus traffic on the morning commute.

    Oh, and thanks for reminding me - the Sox should be on right now. Gotta go check on the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea it was even a holiday! I am working today but we had last Friday off and I am taking a half day off on Thursday and a full day off on Friday this week for Easter--yay for short work weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'd ever heard of this. Then again, apparently some places in VA celebrate "Lee/Jackson Day" and I didn't know about that even though I'm from the deep South. Thanks for filling me in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm...my dad's from Wisconsin...I need to ask him about this day when I call him tonight! haha you're right, sounds like it may just be that they wanted a day off from school. My hubby and I are living in Savannah, Georgia...and almost all the school's in this area get St. Patrick's day off! It is a very big celebration, so the school districts figured with all the past years of absent students...they might as well go with it. It has been a day off for years here.

    Blessings & Aloha!
    Oh...have you picked the next one to do the Military Spouse Weekly roundup? Please let me know, cuz I'd love to host it some time...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!