August 8, 2011

Fore-Shaping

I'm excited to share this guest post with you today!  I consider Sierra a great bloggy friend and I'm so excited that she agreed to write a guest post for me!  If you've never visited her blog, you should.  Do that right after you read her post, kay?  Thanks!
I’m very excited that Poe opened up her blog for guest bloggers. I’ve never been one before and thought it would be a fun opportunity. When I finally get around for guest bloggers she will probably be the first person I ask. Just sayin’.

So I’m Sierra and I blog over at The Tervo Times. My life isn’t that crazy, but sometimes it  can be a little intimidating when you’re going to face something new. I’ve done “new” before;  college, marriage, kids, special needs, different city, different state, different country – but there’s the chance we’ll be facing something TOTALLY new soon.

Have you heard about fore-shaping?

Apparently the military is still overmanned even though we’re fighting two wars overseas and  involved in a military conflict. Yeah, it doesn’t make sense to me either. Hubby’s job is one that  they are cutting out people and to be honest, other than what he’s doing now (SOS, Master’s classes, applying to AFIT) there’s not a whole lot for us to do to keep/lose his job. It’s really not up to us and completely out of our hands.
Military doesn’t have job security?!?! That’s news to most people.  We should know in September if he gets to stay in the service or not. And if not, he’ll be out of a job around April.  Sucks.

There are a lot of implications that brings up, but what has been forefront in my mind other than  him finding another job so we can have benefits, finding a place to live, etc… is ‘who will I be  without the military?’

Some of you know, most of you don’t, that I was born and raised a Navy brat. I’ve had the  military around my whole life. In fact, when I was getting ready to apply to colleges I had to ask my mom where I could go grocery shopping since there was no commissary or base near my  place of study. Dense, I know.

Without that tan ID card that says “spouse” I cannot get on the base, I won’t attend my PWOC  Bible Study anymore, no more TriCare, no more spouse’s club (not like I ever joined, but I might  have!), no more  commissary, bye-bye safe base housing, and farewell to that security I’ve had  with the military owning me.
There’s also that whole camaraderie spouses have with being a fellow wife of a military man.  There’s a sisterhood and understanding. It is a status. In some ways it can partly define who we  are.

Finding life outside the service will be quite an adventure. This was not in our plans at all, in  fact, for most of hubby and I’s relationship we said he’d be career military. We’re hoping we  don’t have to leave the military, but are trying to prepare and accept what happens if we do. I’ve been telling God what I think should happen and I know he’s just smirking and shaking his head because he is truly in control of it. Yes, I know that in my head but sometimes it can be  very hard to accept! I’m a planner… I like to know what’s going to happen!
I found this scripture and it really hit home for me. It’s my reminder that I cannot control or plan out everything ‘cause it’s not up to me.

“Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” Proverbs 19:21

So, whatever happens, I may or may not like the outcome but I’m gonna try my darndest to  accept it and find the best in the situation! And I can kinda hope that hubby gets to stay in the service and is accepted into AFIT and we’re sent to Monterey, California for a couple years. Going overseas again wouldn’t be too bad
either…

2 comments:

  1. My hsuband went through that this year. We were on pins and needles to see if he could re-enlist for about six months. He had to change his MOS/specialty but managed to stay in the Marine Corps.

    I hope things work out for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was really an eye-opener for a newbie like me. My husband joined in April with his degree...and we plan to make this his career until he retires. I'll be sending good vibes your way! (I'm a follower of yours so hopefully you'll keep us readers posted!) :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share! If you know us in real life, please refrain from using our names to help us keep some semblance of privacy.

Also, I ignore comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!